Google Ads

MY SIRSHASANA JOURNEY: HOW I OVERCAME MY FEAR

MY SIRSHASANA JOURNEY

When the world was struggling with covid-19 in the year 2020, I aimed to explore Yoga. Previously, I had assumed that yoga was all about flexibility. I used to believe that if someone isn't flexible, they can't perform yoga. But after stepping into this incredible yoga world, I understood that yoga is about much more than flexibility. Yoga does more than just keep us fit and strong: it relieves tension in our bodies and thoughts, allowing us to meditate more deeply. 

Following that, I added a few simple yoga positions to my fitness routine. On my rest days, I used to do yoga. It was wonderful. To be honest, I am not much lucky in terms of flexibility.  However, after practicing yoga, I noticed certain changes in my body as well. My flexibility was gradually increasing. It made me feel good about myself. 

Sirshasana, commonly known as Yoga Headstand, is an inverted yoga asana I discovered after a few months of yoga practice. It is considered both an asana and a mudra in traditional hatha yoga. It's referred to as the "King of Asanas." I was really excited to give it a shot, but I failed miserably and was scared of this. My upper body, as well as my core, were not strong enough to sustain me in this inverted asana. Then I concentrated on strengthening my upper body as well as engaging my core.

I genuinely love leg days. So, I train my lower body from the core of my heart.  But I didn't take my upper body as seriously as I did my lower body, and I used to neglect it a lot. It's not right, I know. But I was naive at the time. So, returning to the story, I dedicated myself to serious upper-body training. Then I attempted to hold Sirshasana but failed again, and I stopped practicing. 

Then, in September 2021, I attempted it again, this time with the support of the wall. I was able to lift my body and keep it on the wall after 2-3 days of practice. But I was dissatisfied since I couldn't hold this asana without the assistance of the wall. But after a week of practice, I was able to hold this pose for roughly 20 seconds without the assistance of the wall. I felt like I was on top of the world. I was thrilled with delight. When I tried to execute the same thing without the wall the next day, I flipped over and hurt my right knee. I hurt my neck and shoulder also. I was completely devastated. I wondered why I couldn't hold it since I had previously held it for around 20 seconds.

It took me 6-7 days to recover from this injury and then I stopped practicing Sirshasana. I've just accepted that I'll never be able to do it without the help of a wall.

Then, in June of 2022, I asked myself, "What was the cause of my inability to hold this asana?" Then, after viewing dozens of  Sirshasana tutorials, I realized that my technique was wrong.

I was rushing to push my lower body into the air, and as a result, my shoulder was collapsing. To attain my aim, I need to calm down and build a mind-body connection. From the beginning to the end of this asana, I need to concentrate on each step. Then I resumed my exercise with enthusiasm. With practice, I was able to tuck my knees into my chest and understand how to engage the core and shoulders for stability and strength.

And after a few days, the miracle finally occurred. I was able to hold Sirshasana without relying on the wall for support, and I didn't fall over. I tried it once more, and wow. I was able to complete it without being hurt this time as well. I really had the sensation that I had attained a new level of achievement. It enhanced my self-esteem, and I felt quite pleased with myself. My eyes welled up with tears of joy. The beauty of this asana is that it makes you feel light while you're inverted.

I realized three things from this journey of myself:

  • Don’t put so much pressure on the body which can lead to injury.
  • You must concentrate on laying a solid foundation that will allow you to attain your goal without difficulty.
  • To be happy, you must master the proper method under the proper direction and practice it regularly.
Small achievements like this remind us of our capabilities and how much our ideas constrain our actions. I genuinely believe that If I had not given up my practice, I would have been successful long ago. This journey has taught me a lot, and I've acquired a lot of confidence as a result. 

Tags

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.

Top Post Ad

Below Post Ad

Google Ads